Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 12 of 100

Today I wanted to paint joy.
I'm not quite happy with the results, so I will try some more another day. Not a bad assignment, to work more on an expression of joy.


Today I experimented with subtle variations in technique--the difference between letting a drop of paint fall off the brush onto the paper, and making a dot by touching the brush to the paper. Letting the paint set up a little before blowing with the straw. Putting the straw varying distances from the wet paint.

Such apparently minute differences yielded significant variations in the end product.
Made me think about how just the tiniest difference in how I treat people, including myself, can make a noticable difference in expression, connection. A broader smile, a touch on a shoulder held a few beats longer. A moment of silent appreciation and contemplation before responding to someone's words.
Tiny variations . . . potentially big results.




5 comments:

Amanda Fall - Sprout editor said...

Lovely. So true about subtle variations--in art & and in our personal connections. Beautifully put.

sharon said...

nicely done, sister

Anonymous said...

Maureen, I think it's simply beautiful. I look at your art and it makes me want to do it. I haven't felt that urge since I was a little girl. :)

aquamaureen said...

Thank you, Amanda and Sharon, for your support.

Tabiths, I'm so glad that your response to my art is that YOU want to produce art . . DO IT :) If it is in you and wants to come out (and this is obviously the case), then LET IT OUT!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I will do just that Maureen. Thank you for the encouragement!!