Sunday, September 20, 2009

A New Challenge


Just got home a few hours ago from a weekend trip out-of-state. Left on a summer day and came back to definite fall in the air. I'm sorta twitchy inside with the change of seasons and wondering what is also changing inside me . . . and in my life.


I feel as if I've been in the land of Transition for oh-so-very-very-long. Will I ever get to where I'm going? Or is "right where I am" exactly where I'm supposed to be?



In the midst of this uncertainty, my daughter and fellow artist--http://persistentgreen.blogspot.com/ called me to say she'd picked up this factoid on Twitter: September 23 will mark the beginning of the last 100 days of the year.






Hmmmmmm . . . having just come off a fantastic 100 day challenge in which I "played with watercolors" every day for 100 days, this factoid definitely set off some creative vibrations.

Within a few minute, maybe 15 at the most, an idea took shape, I'd written a contract with myself, printed it out and signed it.


Ta-da. I still feel unsettled about what's going on in my life, but this new creative challenge feels right and good. I think it will provide a continuity for these last days of 2009.


The painting challenge definitely left me a different person than when I started. Can't wait to see the effects of the writing challenge.



I'll see if I can post the text of my contract:


100 Days: 100 Words

Starting on September 23, 2009, I commit to writing a minimum of 100 words a day, each day, until the end of the year.

The prompt will come from a random page selection (pages 1-272) in Anne Lamott’s TRAVELING MERCIES: Some Thoughts on Faith.

I’ll count down to the 5th full line of text, and then copy out that line with its beginning and ending.

The writing can be anything: poetry, fiction, non-fiction.

The only parameters are at least 100 words, every day, for the last 100 days of the year.

I imagine that I’ll use Dan’s laptop . . . maybe out in Agnes???? I’ll print each day’s output and put it in a binder. Decorate the front? No clue whether or not any daily writings will connect with each other.

I hereby commit to doing my very best, realizing full well that “life” may intervene.

I further commit to approach this creative endeavor with a spirit of love and joy and fun.


___________________________________________
(signed) AquaMaureen

P.S. "Agnes" is a camper I have in my backyard. I have dreamed of her being a little home-away-from-home where I hole up and write.
_______________
So, anybody else out there want to join PersistentGreen/Amanda and me in some sort of creative challenge for the last 100 days of 2009?

3 comments:

A.Marie said...

Oh Wow! This next challenge of your sounds amazing!! I would love to join you on this newest creative adventure, but for some reason, I am not feeling very creative lately! I'll just watch your progress! :)

Now, I'm going to go over and visit your daughter's blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi There!

As I told your daughter this is a fabulous idea and great for discipline. Starting Sept 23rd I'll either journal about my quest for a healthier body or 100 Days of Gratitude. (:

Amanda Fall - Sprout editor said...

We're on our way again! Have you written in Agnes yet?