Friday, May 7, 2010

Loving what is

I just rolled out of bed on this spring morning, May 7th, and here's the scene that greets me out my beloved picture window.


Now, here's another picture. I'm in the middle of a second, utterly fantastic, e-course (go click the button to the right to see what The Creative Playground is all about). I was asked to look out the window of my mind and dream and show at least a little of what I see.


Hmmmmmm . . . now, do any of you see a difference between what is framed in these two windows?????


Is it any WONDER that I dream of the second, while living with the reality of the first??


Now, all those obvious contrasts aside, when I rolled out of bed this morning, even before I saw the winter wonderland that a spring day in South Dakota has "gifted" me with, I got hit with a choice: complain or cheer. Love what is, or fuss about what is not.


Other fellow journeyers through this life have graced us with wonderful quotes (and I'm NOT gonna do research to get them word-perfect, or this post will never see the light of day.)


"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." A-nony-moose?


"In the midst of winter, I found within me an invincible summer." Camus



"Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." A-nony-moose.


Plenty of other people have been faced with current circumstances that they would gladly trade for something else. We all stand at crossroads, multiple times a day. The direction we take greatly influences HOW we feel and therefore ACT, as we continue down that chosen path.


Would I prefer a warm sunny day today? Yes.


Would I prefer not to continue to be plagued with residual difficulties from a divorce I never wanted? Yes.


Would I prefer that the current man in my life were the man of my dreams? Yes.


Would I prefer . . . (gonna stop here, 'cause the list SEEMS endless!!)

Instead, I choose:



--to laugh at the silliness of snow in May; at snow covering a yard half-mowed; at a dirty-laundry basket filled with just-worn capris and tank tops, while I search for clothes warm enough to wear today.


--to say a sincere "thank you" for the prompting I received from the divorce lawyers, which "forces" me to review my finances and see if I can live on less.


--to stop ruminating over why he hasn't called and just pick up the phone and tell him I need to hear from him.


Right here, right now, is the only real moment. I can ruin it with the disappointment that bleeds from the brokenness of unmet expectations. Or, I can choose delight and laughter. I can choose tenderness and love, independent of current circumstances. I'll state the ridiculously obvious: I cannot change the snow. I cannot change what other people do towards me. But oh, here's the flip side--the equally ridiculously obvious flip side: I CAN change me. I CAN decide, right here, right now, that NOTHING can dispossess me of my God-given joy and kindness, nor my divinely natural inclination to bring those feelings to any set of human circumstances.


How about you? What crossroads are you standing in right this moment? I am NOT dismissing the severity of certain human events, nor unmindful of how some happenings can wear on our souls. What I'm saying is that we--you, and I--have a choice in how we respond. And our first response, if it sucks us down a traditional path of "Alas, woe is me!", does NOT have to be the response we stick with. We can choose to embrace whatever lies before us, and face it with the joy and love that is native to us, native because our Creator put it in us at the beginning.

Here's a picture, snapped a couple weeks ago:

Same scene, taken a few seconds ago--and PLEASE appreciate my dedication in sharing this with you, 'cause it meant sneaking out the front door in my bathrobe and flipflops, and sheltering my camera from the still-falling snow :)



Do I prefer the day in which the first shot was taken? An hour ago, my answer would have been a resounding YES! But the second shot is a moment of TODAY--a snippet of what lies before me in my here and now. And I choose to LOVE it. I choose to take the example of those brilliant hardy tulips and say, "Yep, I, too, am blossoming in the midst of inclement weather, and nothing can stop me either, from growing and blooming, just like I was created to do."

Now, all that brings to mind another quote, or a version thereof:

"Tu-lip, or not tu-lip--that is the question . . ."

Sorry, Shakespeare!!! And love to all of you!! I'm off now--got a lot of tu-lipping to do today!!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Three cheers! I love what you said about blooming in inclement weather. However, please do not send me your snow.

Lauren said...

snow in May. Oh my!
Happy Mothers Day to you!...and it's good to see you blooming, even if the weather is a might bit unpleasant. I definitely like hearing the uplifting tone in your "voice."

be well.
lauren

aquamaureen said...

Liz--"blooming in inclement weather" is an invitation that has been offered to me a lot lately!! And are you SURE you don't want me to priority mail you a ziploc of snow??? I'm sure you miss it already???

Lauren, Happy Mother's DAy to YOU!! I like hearing the uplifting tone in my voice, too!!! It has taken a lot of dedication to get it there!! I've been taking a wonderful art class on line---The Creative Playground. I know your past emails have said how busy your life is, but I think you would just LOVE this class . . they are going to be doing a second run of it very soon . . I hope you think about signing up!!! It has brought such joy to my life!!

YOu have been in my thoughts and prayers . . I hope YOU are feeling times of uplift???

Amanda Fall - Sprout editor said...

Tu-lip, tu-lip! Your blog misses you! I miss you! I know firsthand how much you've been blossoming and growing and beauty-fying and all kinds of goodness....care to share any of it here?? Perhaps your new living room?? :)

A.Marie said...

Hi there! I haven't been over to visit you in a long time! How are you doing by now?? :)